As a replacement to the now defunct SimplifyMedia, I have been using, and highly recommend audiogalaxy to stream any mp3 or .m4a (DRM free) to my smart phone. This app can run on the iPhone/ iPad/iPodTouch or any Android device. The server application (running on the computer with your music files) can be installed on any Windows or Mac OS X 10.5 or greater machine.
Here’s a quick run down for comparison.
- Quickly loads large library (15k songs) on iPhone – tested on 3G
- Has a web interface that allows you to play your library on an internet connected PC/MAC/Linux box
- Allows you you shuffle entire library
- Low processor footprint on server
- Works over 3g or WiFi
- Actively Developed – New features regularly added
- Does not buffer more than one song, so there is a delay between the songs
- No support for .flac or .ogg
- I couldn’t import my iTunes playlists
- Can’t scrobble to last.fm
- No way to add friends or share library
That’s it! Overall, I find audiogalaxy to be the best software that streams your home music library to your smart phone.